[cvsnt] Re: binary files

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Apr 29 12:17:58 BST 2004

Victor A. Wagner Jr. wrote:

> I _finally_ manage to get  cvswrappers setup with the -m 'COPY' and I'd
> like to kill the idiot that thinks that sqotes are required around COPY,

Don't use -m.  In fact it'd be better if those options didn't exist as they're
just confusing.

Binary files are really simple.  Just setup cvswrappers to set -kb on the file
or use a frontend which will add the -k options automatically.

> oh, and I had to empty my cvsroot and re-init, then put cvsignore and
> cvswrappers back in before I could get it to quit bitching about "can't
> get lock on  modules,v"....and I STILL get it if I'm not going directly
> to the repository  /repository   instead of
> :pserver:............../repository

You're probably running an antivirus.  Remove it until you have things working.

> I think all the enhancements going it are great, but how about getting
> back to basics and fixing stuff so we can possibly import a project that
> has both text and binary files!!!

This works fine, and there are no known bugs with binary files (and haven't
been for a very long time).

> I apologize for the language because I'm tire...but I'm also VERY
> frustrated.  this junk USED to work (when the hell did we start
> needing   -m  to handle binary files anyway?  where the hell did -state
> go?  these don't all look like improvements to me.

Who told you that?  -m is a totally obsolete option that should be removed at
the earliest opportunity.

Never heard of -state.

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>  Key ID: 104D/4F4B6917 2003-09-13
Fingerprint: 063C AFB4 3026 F724 0AA2  02B8 E547 470E 4F4B 6917