[cvsnt] Usage question

P. Dwayne Miller dmiller at espgroup.net
Wed Aug 4 19:41:01 BST 2004

Our shop develops web applications.  We have approximately 20
developers.  We normally release/install only updated files and have a
growing number of web sites/portals that use the same code.

Or process goes something like this...

Developer updates several files to implement a change.  These files are
tagged with a release tag.  A package is built using files with this
tag.  Once that package is released/installed, then each of the files
with that release tag are tagged with a production tag.  This production
tag points to the latest revision of each file in our system.  We use
the production tag to build a package to build a web site from scratch
(new install).

As code is released, we would like each of the developers to be able to
update their development environments with the latest, production code.
Some of the code that was just released may already be undergoing
revision by another developer for another change request. As developers
do not always want to pick up non-production code (they are not working
in it, but need the code for their development environment to work), we
need to know how to bring a development environment up-to-date with the
latest production tag, hopefully without setting a sticky tag, and also
without destroying any work in progress.

Any suggestions?

Tks,
Dwayne