[cvsnt] Re: Limiting access to CVSROOT and some CVS commands. ..

Lehman, Curtis CLehman at carrieraccess.com
Thu Aug 5 23:15:45 BST 2004

I don't understand. I have created the admin file with clehman in it. I
uncomment the SystemAuth=yes in the config file.  I even have projects that
list clehman as an owner. How come I can't change owner of CVSROOT  from
nothing to clehman, i.e. "cvs chown clehman CVSROOT" fails. I wasn't able to
set someone else as an owner of a different project either. How is this not
a bug? It really does seem like chown command doesn't work at all. What is
the purpose of the "Owner:" anyhow?

When I do a cvs lsacl I get "Owner: <not set>". When I do a cvs chown
clehman I get:

cvs -ttt chown clehman

***** CVS exited normally with code 0 *****
.
.
S -> Name_Repository((null),(null))
S -> Checking admin file
C:/CVSNTServer/CVSRepository/Engineering/CVSROOT/admin for user clehman
S -> win32getpwnam(clehman)
S -> Machine is standalone
S -> NetUserGetInfo returned NERR_UserNotFound - failing
cvs server: User clehman does not exist

So, I committed back out the "SystemAuth=yes" in the config file and removed
the admin file from the CVSROOT. I then simply used "cvs chacl clehman:rwc
CVSROOT" to add me, which it did. Then when I do a "cvs lsacl CVSROOT" I
get:

cvs lsacl CVSROOT

***** CVS exited normally with code 0 *****

Directory: CVSROOT
Owner: <not set>
  default:n
  clehman:rwc

and now other users on the system can't seem to checkout CVSROOT directory.
I have achieved blocking CVSROOT to a limited set of people, but I never was
able to set myself as an owner of CVSROOT.

 I also still don't have any idea of how to limit CVS commands to a limited
set of people. How can I now block commands, like "cvs chacl" to a set of
people? I don't won't someone to simply add themselves or change the default
to ":rwc" and then access the system.

Thanks,
Curtis Lehman