[cvsnt] strange problem involving authentication, no such repository etc.

Subhadip Sarkar subhadip at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 07:28:19 BST 2004

cvsnt 2.0.51a
win xp pro

well i am a beginner to cvsnt, and look what I got myself into..

installed cvsnt according to the cvsnt installation tip from the website.
created repository: g:/cvs/cvsrepo/temp

could check out cvsrepo and alter the config file using
set cvsroot=g:\cvs\cvsrepo
cvs co cvsroot

now when I tried to use sspi, i got the can't authenticate-server
client can't agree on an auth scheme error.

according to the suggestions given in this group, uninstalled mcaffee
av and ran winsockxpfix. that did seem to get rid of the error,
however now i am getting this:

>set cvsroot=:sspi:cygnus:/test
>cvs ls
>cvs [ls aborted]: /test: no such repository

infact any command produces no such repository. this is when the cvs
server is on the same machine. on using wincvs from a different
machine i get the same error.

cvsservice -test produces the following when cvsnt is running:
CVS 2.0.51a (Aug  2 2004) starting in test mode.
TEMP/TMP currently set to G:\cvs\CVSTemp
Initialising socket...ok
Impersonation is enabled
Starting auth server on port 2401/tcp...
Socket Failed (Handle=ffffffff Family=23,Socktype=1,Protocol=6): An address inco
mpatible with the requested protocol was used.  (not fatal)
Socket Failed (Handle=000007b8 Family=2,Socktype=1,Protocol=6): Only one usage o
f each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.  (n
ot fatal)
Error: All socket binds failed.

and this when it is stopped:
CVS 2.0.51a (Aug  2 2004) starting in test mode.
TEMP/TMP currently set to G:\cvs\CVSTemp
Initialising socket...ok
Impersonation is enabled
Starting auth server on port 2401/tcp...
Socket Failed (Handle=ffffffff Family=23,Socktype=1,Protocol=6): An address inco
mpatible with the requested protocol was used.  (not fatal)
Registering service SPN... failed (Error 1332)
CVS initialised successfully

finally this is the output of cvsdiag:
CVSNT Diagnostic output
-----------------------

Server version: 2.0.51a
OS Version: Windows XP 5.1.2600 (Service Pack 1)

CVS Service installed: Yes
LockService installed: Yes

pserver installed: Yes
sserver installed: Yes
sspi installed: Yes
ext installed: Yes

Installation Path: C:\Program Files\cvsnt
Repository Prefix: (no value)
Repository 0: G:/cvs/CVSRepo
Repository 1: G:/cvs/CVSRepo/test
Repository 2: (no value)
Repository 3: (no value)
CVS Temp directory: G:\cvs\CVSTemp
CA Certificate File: C:\Program Files\cvsnt\cvsnt-default.pem
Private Key File: C:\Program Files\cvsnt\cvsnt-default.pem
CVS Temp directory: G:\cvs\CVSTemp
Impersonation: Yes
Local Users Only: Yes
Fake Unix CVS: No
Default LockServer: localhost:2402
Disable Reverse DNS: No
Server listen port: 2401

Temp dir readable by current user: Yes
Repository0 readable by current user: Yes
Temp dir writable by current user: Yes

AV files detected:
(none)

Installed Winsock protocols:

1001: MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP]
1002: MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP]
1004: RSVP UDP Service Provider
1005: RSVP TCP Service Provider
1012: MSAFD nwlnkipx [IPX]
1013: MSAFD nwlnkspx [SPX]
1014: MSAFD nwlnkspx [SPX] [Pseudo Stream]
1015: MSAFD nwlnkspx [SPX II]
1016: MSAFD nwlnkspx [SPX II] [Pseudo Stream]

Please let me know if i am still missing something. I for now have
full permission on the folders for system and the current user. Any
help would be appreciated