[cvsnt] Re: How do I use module2?

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Thu Aug 12 08:55:24 BST 2004

Warren, Erik wrote:
> Sounds like my first quarter college calculus professor.  His name
> was John Elton (seriously, it was).  He began the answer to any
> question, "It is intuitively obvious that ..."

Sorry, I didn't mean to be patronizing you if that's how it sounded.
Most of the docs and many of the comments here explicitly talk about a
"modules2 file" so for me the implication that it is a new file rather
than an old file in a new format /was/ "intuitively obvious" (;)) and in
that context your comments sounded a bit bone-headed. - I obviously
missed that one-line comment in your initial post stating that you
already tried to create the modules2 file and had come to the assumption
that it didn't work. I must admit that I might have come to the same
conclusion after that so please accept my apologies.

> Anyway,  I found out why I thought creating a modules2 file didn't
> work. When you use modules2, the modules you define show up as
> directories when you do cvs ls -l.

I think I saw that fact stated somewhere. Tony repeatedly stated that
the modules2 mechanism is operating at a much lower level than the
original modules file.

 > If you are using the ellipsis
> button to display the modules in the winCVS checkout form you don't
> see the modules2 modules unless you check the List optionbox and then
>  you don't see in the list the definition of the module you only see
> <dir>.  That is not very helpful.

That is indeed debatable I think. Then again, cvs checkout -c (i.e. the
command that the WinCvs module browser uses when "List" is not checked)
does little more than a cvs checkout -p CVSROOT/modules. In fact IMO the
latter is even more useful as it doesn't strip the comments and it
maintains the original order of elements. Likewise you are still able to
do a cvs checkout -p CVSROOT/modules2 . However, as you already noted,
WinCvs does not use this.

An idea to consider however would be if the modules2 definitions could
be associated with descriptive comments and if there would then
additionally be a new option to the cvs ls command that would display
these descriptions alongside the listings. It should be possible to
display this in WinCvs too (not without patches of course).

Cheers,

--
Oliver
JID:	ogiesen at jabber.org