[cvsnt] Re: commit -r and admin -o

Harrison, Andrew andy.harrison at anite.com
Thu Aug 12 17:26:33 BST 2004

> From: Glen Starrett [mailto:grstarrett at cox.net]

> Why would you delete revisions that you might possibly need
> someday?  If
> you're working out a script to compact "superfluous commits" then you
> should make sure that it doesn't have any tags or mergepoints
> on it (or
> pointing to it).  Probably the better option is to not remove those
> revisions at all.

Yes, that was what I was thinking. Basically the repository is becoming very
complicated (lots of branches, lot of tags etc) and people are complaining
that it's hard to find the  branch or tag they want, and it's very hard to
read the graph in WinCVS. I could simply export the sources and create a new
repository, but that looses all of the history. So I'd thought that if I
could selectively 'prune' the repository then it would be ideal, but without
a way of undoing it without editing the RCS files by hand, then I'm loathe
to do it.

Also the time taken to execute a cvs command seems to be taking longer and
longer and I'd put that down to the number of tags etc.

Andy

--
Andy Harrison - Platform Software Engineer
Anite Telecoms Ltd. 127 Fleet Road, Fleet, Hampshire, GU51 3QN, UK

Please note that my email domain has changed from @anitetelecoms.com to
@anite.com
Registered in England No. 1721900 Registered Office: 353 Buckingham Avenue,
Slough, Berkshire SL1 4PF, United Kingdom

Scanned for viruses by MessageLabs. The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed. This email is intended for the named recipient only, and may contain confidential information and proprietary material. Any unauthorised use or disclosure is prohibited.