[cvsnt] Re: question about warning: server is not creating directories one at a time

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Aug 14 01:01:50 BST 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:52:25 -0500, John Cole <john.cole at uai.com>
wrote:

>I was recently checking out a new branch and received the following warning:
>
>cvs checkout: warning: server is not creating directories one at a time
>
>Everything seemed to work fine but I was curious abut the warning.  What
>does it mean?  Should I be worried? A google search on the statement turned
>up a similar question from Bo, but no response :-)
>
>Thanks,
>
>John Cole

Yeah,
I asked and was never answered. AFAICT the problem comes up if you
check out a module to a shortened path. Say that you have a sandbox
and now you want to check out a different module as a subdirectory in
it:
cvs co -d Charlie Module1/subdira/subdirb/Charlie
This will get you the contents of the Module1/subdira/subdirb/Charlie
folder into a folder with the name Charlie in the current sandbox.
This structure seems to make the messages mentioned pop up at various
times. I don't have a full analysis on these cases since I just moved
on at the time, though....

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)