[cvsnt] CVSNT for Web Development?

Siegfried Heintze siegfried at heintze.com
Sun Aug 15 20:16:01 BST 2004

I'm presently developing web pages in my office on my desktop machine in the
directory C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\cgi-bin because that is
where Apache HTTPD executes perl scripts.

Now it seems logical to me to use the import command on this directory. But
I also need to continue working in this directory to see my results. So now
what do I do? Delete the entire directory and use the checkout command to
recreate it? Yikes.... OK....

So is the recommended procedure to make the sandbox and the WebServer
directory the same directory?

So I make some changes and commit.

Well now, suppose I need to go over to Marty's office and work with together
with Marty on the Marty account and modify those perl scripts. So I check
them out on Marty's machine and make changes and use WebDAV or FTP to copy
from my sandbox to the directory in C:\Program Files\Apache
Group\Apache2\cgi-bin on the desktop machine of my office until the web
pages display the way I want them to. Then I do a "cvs commit".

What do I do when I return to my office? "cvs update"? Will that merge the
old files with the new? That is not what I want. Do I have to release my
sand box and check it out again? This seams strange and awkward.

Assuming the answer is yes, let say I do a lot more work from my office
machine that is hosting the site.

Now assume Marty does no work on these files until I return to his office.
Do I release the sand box again and check out again?

Is it normal to release sandboxes frequently?
Thanks,
           Siegfried