[cvsnt] Re: assiging revision 0.1

John Peacock rlpgbooks at spamcop.net
Tue Aug 17 12:34:46 BST 2004

abhishek jaiswal wrote:
> However what I think and you would also affirm to is that it would be
> better if the revision number started from 0.1 in the CVS and hence
> after every release the revision of all the files could be pulled to
> say 1, 2, 3 or the version no.

No, $Revision:$ is internal bookkeeping for CVS, nothing more.  In some sense,
it would be better if it were _never_ exposed to the users at all, but that ship
sailed a long time ago.

Depending on your usage pattern, you can use the $Revision:$ as a sort of marker
for the inexerable march forward towards perfection in your code.  But it is not
suitable for use as the project version because CVS will not follow what you
would normally want to do when incrementing it (with respect to branches and
vendor branches).

John