[cvsnt] cvs server: Up-to-date check failed for `convex.pl'

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue Aug 17 23:20:43 BST 2004

> >Didn't we have that strange root folder duplication bug some weeks ago
> >already? Wasn't this supposed to be fixed by now or is that issue still
> >open? What versions of CVSNT are you using on the client and server?
>
> Yes -- it was fixed by renaming /cygwin/bin/cvs.exe /cygwin/bin/oldcvs.exe
> AND recreating the repository. I am using the same server.

Hmm, I will have to reread the discussions. I'm rather sure it was something
else... IIRC I saw that too at one point and fixed it by upgrading CVSNT and
I have never in my life used Cygwin so far.

> C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\cgi-bin>cvs status case.pm
> cvs server: conflict: case.pm is modified but no longer in the repository
> File: case.pm           Status: Unresolved Conflict
>
>    Working revision:    1.1
>    Repository revision: No revision control file

Another symptom of CVS looking at the wrong repository folder... CVS seems
to be seriously confused for some reason. In the mildest case this is just
about the metadata in your sandbox (that's my guess actually) but in the
worst case your repository itself has become corrupted (I doubt that
though).

>From what I could tell you accidentally did a lot of things you were not
supposed to do. If I was in your position I would probably start from
scratch just to make sure no old mistakes continue to haunt you when you've
actually started to do things right...

> I just tried to import an additional directory to an existing
> repository. Is this not allowed?

It is allowed alright. It's a bit uncommon but still alright. Typically you
would use Add instead of Import to get new stuff into the repository once
you've got a working sandbox...

Also note that the import -C option should only ever be used for the very
first import of a module and possibly never inside a folder that already
contains CVS metadata. From Tony's comments I don't know if this is an issue
that will eventually be resolved or if this will simply have to be noted
down as an invalid command invokation but as it is now, import -C will
blindly overwrite all existing metadata with hardcoded 1.1 (or 1.1.1.1 if
you used the -n option) revisions even if it should really have been 1.2 or
whatever.

> >> C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\cgi-bin>cd cgi-bin
> >> The system cannot find the path specified.
> >
> >You are already in it, aren't you?
>
> I just meant to verify that was no directory called cgi-bin/cgi-bin. When
> was still struggling with the cygwin problem I had done a checkout from
the
> wrong directory and inadvertantly created the directory cgi-bin/cgi-bin.

OK, understood. I missed that additional path element duplication in your
original quote.

Cheers,

--
Oliver