[cvsnt] Forcing a revision....

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Aug 18 20:38:03 BST 2004

In order to suggest a solution to the guy who really wants to bump the
revisions of his files by incrementing the major digit I tested the
cvs co -r <rev> command to see what would happen.
I did it from within WinCvs and the result is somewhat surprising:

cvs -z9 commit -m "testing revision forcing" -r 2.1 ModuleYYdoc.txt
(in directory F:\Engineering\Projects\Bosse\ModuleYY\)
Checking in ModuleYYdoc.txt;
cvs [server aborted]: revision `2.1' does not exist

Of course revision 2.1 does not exist, I am trying to commit a file
that will get that revision afterwards. So what does this error
message mean and wht should I have done instead? I know that it is
possible to force a new revision of a file and to increment the major
digit but the only command I found that could possibly do it is the
cvs commit...

Why is this error displayed?

Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.41a (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.51 (client/server)

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)