[cvsnt] Some beginner questions about cvsnt

Torsten Martinsen torsten at tiscali.dk
Fri Aug 20 21:06:08 BST 2004

Rogier Eijkelhof wrote:

> Why do cvs users need to be related to system users, it seems to make
> much more sense to me if a list of users (plus their access rights)
> would be specified within the cvs database. The particular system it's
> running on should be totally transparent.

Indeed it is possible to do this is you set SystemAuth=No - then CVS
uses the list of users in the passwd file. See
http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/InstallationTips, 4.7.
But personally I think it's more convenient to be able to use the same
login and password for CVS as for other services.

> Same for the repository names, as I experienced so far the users
> (clients) really have to specify the physical path on the server where
> the repository is hosted.What good is that, wouldn't it be easier &
> more flexible if you could just specify in cvsnt: I have repositories
> in these directories (1) publicly available as these names (2).

That's exactly what the RepositoryName (previously RepositoryPrefix)
mechanism does.

> Then users would only deal with "clean names" (2), allowing the admin
> to move the repositories to different dirs (1) on the server without
> further implications.

Again, no problem if you use the above mechanism.

-Torsten