[cvsnt] Latest updates

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sun Aug 22 23:39:58 BST 2004

CVSNT 2.0.52

This released is rated 1 (unstable).

Lots of new things to test...  I expect half of it to break under
stress, TBH, but it's still good to get a few people looking at it.

Rename is re-enabled...  there aren't any changes to it yet but I'm open
for creative ways to break it (since as usual "it works for me" (tm)).

New features:

* Edit/Commit by bug.  The edit system allows you to specify a bug
number when editing, then unedit/commit based on that bug number.  The
notifyinfo procedure now takes some more parameters to handle that (do a
'cvs init' for the latest documentation on that if you're interested).
Basically the best documentation at the moment is 'cvs -H edit' and 'cvs
-H unedit'.  Most of these features need both a 2.0.52 client and server
to make any sense.
* New ACL system.  This one works down to the file level, and supports
directory inheritance.  For a deny ACL you can specify a custom error
that's reported to the client (eg. 'This branch is on code freeze,
contact bill in support').
* -k options are properly versioned.  Admin -k no longer does anything
useful, as a commit takes the -k option from the client (this means that
the longstanding problem of not being able to mix -k options on
different branches is solved).  As this is a change to the behaviour I'm
open to suggestions as to the best way to handle this - eg. cvs update
-kb foo.txt, cvs commit -fm "" foo.txt will change the expansion option,
however this does not happen in the other versions of CVS.
* SSPI now (correctly) takes its domain from the authentication token.
This means that if you're using cross-domain authentication the username
may change, which effects existing ACLs.  This is also open to change -
eg. should DOMAIN1\foo be equal to DOMAIN2\foo for ACL checks?
* Edit is branch specific when talking 2.0.52->2.0.52.  There's a new
option to enable the whole 'all file' behaviour.
* The CVS/fileattr files are now all XML.  At the moment we don't delete
the old files but probably will eventually.