[cvsnt] Regresssion and branches in the current sand box?

Siegfried Heintze siegfried at heintze.com
Tue Aug 24 01:45:40 BST 2004

I get confused when I use

cvs update -r <branch or revision>

I get the files I want but when I try to edit and commit my changes, I get
strange messages.

I found I can recover with "cvs update -A", but then I get the most recent
stuff again.

What happens if
(1) my current revision of a certain file is 1.6 and I want to abandon 1.6
and 1.5 and start editing with 1.4 to create 1.7? What are the commands for
this? Do I have to create a new sandbox?

I suppose I could use "cvs update -r 1.4", load this into the editor, then
do "cvs update -A", then finish editing and write the contents of the editor
buffer to disk and "cvs commit". Hmmm... It seems there should be a better
way.

(2) I have created a new branch and want to switch back and forth between
branches. After reading "Essential CVS", it looks like I have to check out a
new sand box for each branch I want to edit. Is this correct?

I was hoping it would just write the current branch to the current
directory.

Incidentally, does "cvs update -r " accept a revision number or a branch? It
looks like it does from the documentation.

I suppose I could always release the current sandbox, check out the other
sandbox in the same directory, edit it, commit, release and checkout the
first branch again. Hmm.....
  Thanks,
        Siegfried