[cvsnt] Re: I need help understanding Branching

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Wed Aug 25 06:28:10 BST 2004

> Is branching effective if I have many files in my sandbox but only need  a
> separate branch for one file?

You should have your experimental repository by now, don't you? ;)
But then yes, it will be effective. Three possible approaches:

1. Branch all files nevertheless.
- When retrieving the branch all unbranched files will be retrieved from the
branchpoint rather than the HEAD. Thus if you want those other files to keep
moving forward, this would be highly impractical as you would have to move
the branch tag on them every time you make a change.

2. Only branch the one file and when retrieving the branch update using -f
(force HEAD revision match).
- while the branch is checked out, you could not commit the non-branch files
right away; you would have to update them to HEAD first (cvs up -A) to
remove the "invalid" sticky tag.

3. Only branch the one file and take care to update that one file to the
branch manually.
+ No special handling required for unbranched files
- potential to forget updating the one file to the branch

If it is really only a single file, I guess the third solution is the most
feasible one. With rising number of branched files, the first two become
better suited.

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver