[cvsnt] Re: Creating new repositories for experimentation

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Aug 25 16:48:54 BST 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:23:37 -0600, "Siegfried Heintze"
<siegfried at heintze.com> wrote:

>I have my CVSROOT symbol defined in the SYSTEM environment table. I feel I
>need to take Glenn's advice and create a test repository to experiment with.
>If I use the -d qualifier with the cvs init command, can I be assured that
>the -d qualifier will override CVSROOT? I don't want to destroy my
>production repository.
>  Thanks,
>    Siegfried

If you just do this two-step operation in a command window then you
are safe:
set CVSROOT=<wahever root you want>
cvs <whatever command you like to use>

Of course the command window's current directory must not be a CVS
sandbox (must not have a subfolder named CVS).

As long as you are in the same command window the CVSROOT variable you
set on the first line will be used (overrides the system variable).

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)