[cvsnt] Permission problems on update - 2.0.58d

Issberner, Sven RD-IS-P22 Sven.Issberner at heidelberg.com
Wed Dec 1 09:51:26 GMT 2004

Hi !

I recently updated my cvs server to version 2.0.58d. I also reworked the access rights
on the repository folders. My server is a Win2000 SP4.

For any top level folder there is a group with read only access and a group with full
control. The members of the read only group encounter problems when they update their
modules:

-------------------------------

cvs update (in directory D:\DEV\Projects\BuildMSubsData\) cvs server: Updating .
cvs server: Updating Dates
cvs server: Updating Dates/METEOR
cvs server: Updating Dates/PIANO
cvs server: Updating Environment
cvs server: Updating Environment/bb
cvs server: Updating Environment/etc
cvs server: Updating Prog
cvs server: Updating src.awk
cvs server: Updating src.p
cvs server: cannot write /PrePressKie/ProjectData/BuildMSubsData/src.p/CVS/fileattr.xml: Permission denied cvs server: Updating temp

***** CVS exited normally with code 0 *****

or

cvs -z5 update (in directory D:\Dev\Projects\PianoData-2\)
cvs server: Updating .
cvs server: Updating Environment
cvs server: Updating Environment/bb
cvs server: Updating Environment/etc
cvs server: Updating Prog
cvs server: Updating _RevisionInfo
cvs [server aborted]: cannot make directory /PrePressKie/ProjectData/BuildPianoData/_RevisionInfo/CVS: Permission denied

***** CVS exited normally with code 1 *****

----------------------------------

Why does cvs try to create the CVS subfolder or to write to the file fileattr.xml on an update? As the user has read only access this must fail.
I checked the path PrePressKie/ProjectData/BuildMSubsData/src.p/CVS/ and couldn't find a file fileattr.xml. There only is a file
named "fileattr". Is cvs trying to convert it from an old format to a new one?

BTW SYSTEM has "full control" rights on the whole repository.

Regards
Sven Ißberner

Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG
Research & Development