[cvsnt] Alternative to Network Shares?

Luckey, Dave dave.luckey at lmco.com
Fri Dec 3 17:55:27 GMT 2004

I know that Network Shares are frowned upon, in fact, any who bring the subject up get flamed before the e-mail bits have stopped flowing to the reader.  So I am looking for an alternative.

My situation:
1)       I travel often
2)       Need to have a backup of my new code performed on the office network
3)       I use VPN to get to the server, so security is not an issue between me and the server
4)       Not always able to connect due to location when working
5)       Need to be able to commit code when offline
6)       Am the only developer touching this code

The reason I chose the network share approach, I make the repository files available offline, check them out to a local sandbox, then I commit when ready, once I reconnect (either VPN or On Network) Windows automatically handles the synchronization of the repository files.  It is a very simple process.  However, I occasionally have problems with some files that do not work well using this approach.  Can't quite figure it out why, they seem to work fine when I am on the network, but not when offline.  I am using Wincvs and TortoiseCVS.  I currently have CVSNT set to local server.

I would appreciate some positive suggestions.  Thanks.

Thank you,
Dave
Dave Luckey
 Email:  <mailto:dave.luckey at lmco.com> dave.luckey at lmco.com