[cvsnt] Re: Problems using CVSMailer Tag

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Dec 3 21:56:59 GMT 2004

On 3 Dec 2004 13:30:06 -0000, "Rajadurai  Arunasalam"
<rajadurai_a at rediffmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks for ur reply & suggestion.
>We are working remotely between the Dev & testing area.
>
>We are using CVSMailer for identifying Tagged files from the Dev.Area.
>But, the file names are not displayed properly in the Tag Mail.
>Can You suggest better solution for this?

Dear Rajadurai,
I responded directly to you from work earlier asking for more problem
data. Now that I have returned home I have been able to check up on
this and you are absolutely right!! I now have seen that your
observation is indeed correct!

It turns out that when I use the tag command on my CVSNT 2.0.58d test
repository and use CVSMailer (both the newest version 1.5.1.34 and an
older one 1.5.1.32) the file names are corrupted!

What happens is outside the scope of CVSMailer though, because the
list of tagged files supplied by CVSNT has been corrupted for some
reason!

I did not know this and it is very strange since the files that are
part of regular commits are actually sent to CVSMailer on the command
line in the same way as the files for tagging (as STDIN data).
I read the STDIN using exactly the same function in CVSMailer no
matter if it is loginfo or taginfo that made the call, yet the data
for taginfo are corrupted...

I think that this is a problem with CVSNT. My tests now indicate that
if I use CVSMailer against a 2.0.38 CVSNT server (my other CVS server,
the one I keep my CVSMailer code in) then the tag operations are OK,
no problems with the file names. And this is no matter which version
of CVSMailer I use.
But on the 2.0.58d server the problem appears no matter which
CVSMailer version is used.
So there is definitely some corruption going on inside CVSNT 2.0.58d.

Can you verify what happens if you downgrade to 2.0.51? I don't have
this version available to me anywhere.

Thanks for your report!

Tony, what do you think?

/Bo