[cvsnt] fileattr.xml corruption, potential cvsspam culprit?

Will Koffel wkoffel at alum.mit.edu
Fri Dec 3 22:51:32 GMT 2004

I'm having fairly regular corruption of the fileattr.xml metadata files.

Usually, this takes the form of the file name attribute getting
prepended or appended with junk.

For example, I created a simple test module, added one README file, made
a modification to it, and the fileattr now looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<fileattr>
   <directory>
     <owner>(null)</owner>
   </directory>
   <file name="$-3òßREADME">
     <editor name="wkoffel">
       <hostname>bostondev</hostname>
       <pathname>/home/wkoffel/code/comet_test</pathname>
       <tag>HEAD</tag>
       <time>Fri Dec  3 22:42:31 2004 GMT</time>
     </editor>
     <watcher name="wkoffel">
       <temp_commit />
       <temp_edit />
       <temp_unedit />
     </watcher>
   </file>
</fileattr>

One time, I saw a bunch of junk appended to the filename that took the
form of a line from my CVSROOT/loginfo, which I use for cvsspam messages.

I really need the Unicode support from CVSNT (as well as all the other
great features), but also rely upon cvsspam support.  Is anyone using
these together under unix?

Or, if cvsspam is unlikely to be the culprit, are there any other good
ways from keeping fileattr.xml sane?  I've been having to go in, remove
the offending XML elements, and then everything is fine again, but
that's hardly a good general solution.

Thanks so much for any responses.

-Will