[cvsnt] Merging snapshot to local CVS repsitory

Mateusz £oskot see at my.signature.net
Mon Dec 13 13:06:32 GMT 2004

Hello,

I would like to assure myself if my idea is correct.
There is a project and its main CVS repository, but I don't have any access
to that.
I only get a daily snapshot of the last revision of the project.

Now, I would like to create my own local repository (on my Debian
workstation)
and import there that daily snapshot of the project.
Certainly, I expect that all changes commited to this local repository won't
be lost.

So, in my daily development I use my local repository, make changes and
commit them to my
repo. But once a day I would like to import the new snapshot and merge this
snapshot with
my local version of project.

Then, from time to time I would like to create patches from local repository
and send it to project maintainers, so they could merge my changes with into
the main repository tree.

So, I read a lot of CVS docs, manual and articles and as I understand there
is a solution for my tasks called in manual as "Tracking third-party
sources" described in the book:

http://www.network-theory.co.uk/docs/cvsmanual/cvs_105.html

and manual

https://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs-1.11.18/cvs_13.html#SEC103

This technique is also known as "Importing and tracking vendor source":

http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/notes/cvs/import.html

Finally, I would like to ask you if those solutions described in the above
docs fit
my requirements?
Would you like to add something or warn me to do something?

Best regards

--
Mateusz £oskot
mateusz at loskot dot net