[cvsnt] Performance problemsnitzans

Nitzan Shaked calius at netvision.net.il
Sat Dec 25 13:50:40 GMT 2004

(Apologies if this is not the right place to ask -- I cannot seem to
find a CVSNT mailing list).

I'm using CVSNT 2.0.34 and (almost) the recent WinCVS. I am managing
a repository with some 11000 C files. My users connect using pserver
on a 100Mb LAN.

It's taking *forever* to do an update on the whole repository. When
I say "forever" I mean it takes ~5-7 minutes for the client to start
printing anything (those lines beginning with "? file1.o" and "?
file2.o" etc), and then some 10-15 minutes to go over the whole
repository.

During that time I see that the server has 100% disk activity. One
more curious point is that 100% disk activity continues for ~15
minutes after that update operation completes!

Are those times normal? What can be done to increase the speed --
the situation as it is now is driving my 30 developers crazy.

tia,
Nitzan