[cvsnt] Re: Performance problems

Nitzan Shaked calius at netvision.net.il
Sun Dec 26 08:18:08 GMT 2004

Thanks for the quick reply.

> --Do the users have permissions to update the "val-tags" file in the
> CVSROOT?
Yes they do. They have read only on the CVSROOT/ dir, but modify and write on that file. It's not a matter of permission on this specific file, because my user is defined as local admin on the server machine and I am having the same kind of problems as well. Is there any other file I need to check permissions for? Is there a list somewhere of files that should be writeable by the users?

> --How much memory on your server?
512MB. I know it's not a whole lot, but when running an update on the whole source tree I don't see 100% memory utilization, only 100% disk utilization. (Though memory peaks at some points close to 100% I don't think it's the problem).

> --Is reverse DNS broken?
I don't even what it is. I'll ask the sytem guys. Should it be working? Is there an option to tell CVSNT to not use it? What about WINS? Should it be working if I'm using it on a LAN (wouldn't ARP do the trick in that case, and pardon the ignorance)

> --Is there Anti-Virus software running on the server that is real-time
> scanning the CVS repository and/or CVS temp directories?
NAV is running. I'll try to disable scanning of ,v files or the entire repository altogether and see what happens. Again -- to the system guys so it'll be a while :-)

Thanks again,
Nitzan