[cvsnt] Upgrading to 2.0.58d

Nitzan Shaked calius at netvision.net.il
Mon Dec 27 22:32:51 GMT 2004

Let me start by saying that I've spent the last hour reading posts related
to the "2.0.58d upgrade" issue, so any questions I ask are *after* having
read similar posts and still have questions :-)

I am about to get a new server on which I'll have to install CVSNT from
scratch. My current server is running 2.0.34 and I thought this might be a
good opportunity to upgrade to 2.0.58d. However, I see that a small number
of people have had problems with it. I've read through the posts and can't
come to a conclusion: is 2.0.58d "good" or not? Some have reverted to
2.0.51, some have stayed with 2.0.58d and fixed some permission problem or
others. Still others complain about upgrade-ability of the repositories (or
did I get that part wrong?).

My questions:

1) What is your recommendation regarding which version to install?
2) Any special installation tips I should know about?

My biggest concern is copying the repository from my current server to the
new server. I will of course (have my users) commit everything, stop the
services, etc. The current server is WinXP and the repository is on an NTFS
partition. The new repository will also be on NTFS, and all security rights
are assigned to domain groups.

The big question:

Will there be a problem with copying the repository, *as is* (preserving
permissions and everything), from the current server to the new? Will I need
some upgrade of the repository? Are there any known issues with that? (After
all the mails I've been reading I thouhgt it's worth mentioning that I have
Cygwin installed and no CYGWIN environment variable set anywhere).

tia,
Nitzan