[cvsnt] Re: Force conflict

Gabriel Genellina gagenellina at softlab.com.ar
Tue Dec 28 09:09:25 GMT 2004

At 28/12/2004 05:25, you wrote:

>Gabriel Genellina wrote:
>
> > I want that any time a merge is needed, it's marked as a conflict.
> > I don't want any automatic merges, no matter how trivial they would
> > be; I want all merges resolved by the developers.
>
>That's how it should be anyway.
>
>Are you aware that merging is a pure client-side operation? The changes
>produced by the merge have to be explicitly committed before they get
>incorporated into the repository. Now take that and the fact that no
>single file should ever be committed without prior review regardless of
>how it came into committable state.

But how do I know what happened during the update that triggered the merge?
I need to review *these* changes.

>And if you're just out for eye-candy, that's already there. If you do a
>status on your files or view them in a GUI frontend like WinCvs there
>will be a clear note saying "Result of merge". Forcing a conflict
>status if there is none is just additional and unnecessary sugar on top
>of that IMO.

Ok, then I know that updating merged some changes, but *what* changes? Diff
wont work, that would mark the differences between sandbox and repository
(that is, *my* changes), but I need the differences between sandbox and
(the revision which was originally checked out), that is, other people's
changes.

The steps outlined by Glenn appears to be a good solution to this.