[cvsnt] Re: Upgrading to 2.0.58d

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Dec 28 11:37:14 GMT 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:21:13 +0200, "Nitzan Shaked"
<calius at netvision.net.il> wrote:

>> If you are one of the "small number" that make use of the taginfo
>> script to send email or otherwise do some action on tag operations
>> then you might want to wait for 2.0.62.
>
>I am not. Is it otherwise safe?

Tony claims so and many people are using it right now. I have the
2.0.62.1817 on my test server and it seems fine but I don't use it a
whole lot, especially during the holiday season...

>And two questions I asked and am re-asking:
>
>1) Is it safe to copy the whole repository from my old NTFS partition to the
>new one? Is there an upgrade required, or any process which changes the
>files?

I would say that *copying* the files while retaining file permissions
is an operating system thing rather than a CVS thing. A copy will in
any case *not* preserve anything like permissions. After the copy you
will have the same permissions on the coped files as you have on the
folder where you placed the copy into. Any permissions on the old tree
stays there and is not copied.

But there are other commands that can be used between trusted NT PC:s
and of course using the NTFS file system that will actually preserve
(or rather re-create) the permissions on the target.
But that is an operating system issue.

Concerning the upgrade of the repository, the answer is no, you don't
need any upgrade to the RCS files. This will happen transparently when
the new version of CVSNT accesses the files.
But of course you will have to look after the control files in the
CVSROOT folder of the repository, because most likely your scripts
will stop working because they point to new locations etc.
And you should switch from using file locks to the lockserver too,
done in config.

>2) I read many posts about "CYGWIN=ntsec" screwing up people's permissions
>between versions. If I do *not* have CYGWIN set anywhere, will I suffer?
>Should I do something in particular?

I have also read about CYGWIN but I have never used it. Seems like it
causes a great deal of confusion and problems on the Windows platform,
so why not simply get rid of it? What use is it?

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)