[cvsnt] Binnary diff capability from tortoisecvs

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Feb 2 01:30:48 GMT 2004

martin cole wrote:
> So my question is, is this expected behaviour, and is it likely to require
> this for all clients that need to commit this file ?

CVSNT detects what the client is during checkout and translates it to
-kb, mainly for compatibility with Unix clients (and eclipse).  CVSNT
clients are already smart enough to handle it (there's some checking for
really old ones though).

Of course if you manage to do an 'add -kB' on an older client and then
try to commit it'll fail - the clients don't do that much checking on
the add... there's not a lot that can be done to stop this.

> If I did the needed thing, in copying over the protocol and exe files, is it
> likely that future behaviour will be correct given that modification, or
> would I be wise to wait for an offical release of tortoise that includes
> this binary capability ?

Sometimes things that Tortiose relies on change... 99% of the time
you'll be OK doing that though,

> One last question, is there an admin command that I can send to the cvs
> server to convert a file to '-kB' from '-kb', and would it "compress" the
> current ',v' file on my server, or simply use the '-kB' diff from this point
> forth ?

If you do an admin -kB it'll use the binary delta from each commit
onwards (I generally don't recommend changing mid-file though as there
are probably corner cases that aren't catered for yet - wait for someone
else to hit them first :)