[cvsnt] Ability to track commits to Change Requests

Aditya Gandhi agandhi at sapient.com
Tue Feb 3 06:11:26 GMT 2004

HI all,
I am planning to use CVS for my code repository and would like to be
able to associate all the code commits to some Change Requests (tracker
items).
My tracker does not expose any API therefore interacting with it and
adding metadata at that level is not a possibility.
However, can we do something in CVS to address this-
I had some thoughts on the same and am looking at the group to help me
refine or explore some better alternatives
1. When ever somebody checks in a file associated with a CR then tag
that file with this CR.
	If a file is checked in multiple times one might just have info
about the last checkin (or can this be avoided.)
2. Building on top of this on commit one can scan thru the comments for
the CR number and in the loginfo trigger ask for the file to be
automatically tagged by picking up the CR number from comments (Will
need to take care of self locks)
3. Create a macro in WinCVS that does the following - When ever such a
report is needed just query all the items and scan thru the logs to look
for a match for all the checkin comments that had the given CR number in
it and then based on that show the parsed output.
	Will this be a big performance problem if the sample set looks
something like this - 500 files with an average 20 revisions per file

Aditya Gandhi