[cvsnt] Re: 2.0.24: branch permission bug?

Jan Rychtar rychtation at nothing.cz
Tue Feb 3 14:47:52 GMT 2004

> The permissions stuff hasn't been changed for over a year, so I can't
> see anything changing there.  Can you give an example of what you think
> is wrong?  It seems to be working OK on my machine.

OK, I don't know what went wrong, but just switching between 2.0.14 and
2.0.24 makes the branch permission mechanism work in a completely
different way.

Playing with it I came to this:

default:n
{DEV}user1:rw

2.0.14 - user1 can commit to DEV branch
2.0.24 - user1 cannot commit to DEV branch with:
"cvs server: User user1 is unable to write modified file Document.txt"

It's interesting that when user1 is explicitly _not_ given the right to
write to DEV branch

default:n
{DEV}user1:r

the message is different:
"cvs server: User user1 is unable to write modified file Document.txt on
branch/tag DEV
cvs [server aborted]: correct above errors first!"

And the best of all: When I add write permission to the main trunk, commit
to DEV branch is successful!

default:n
{HEAD}user1:rw
{DEV}user1:rw

2.0.24 - Now user1 can commit to DEV branch!

And again.. the _only_ change I'm doing is 14 <-> 24 switching. (I use
standard installer over the same directory)

I have WinXP prof.
J.Rychtar