[cvsnt] SSH

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Feb 4 05:00:57 GMT 2004

Erin Loy wrote:

>Hi All,
>

>I'm fairly new to CVS, and could use some help on this one.   We need to
>work collaboratively with contractors in India, and I need to get CVSNT
>working securely enough to expose a proprietary repository to them on the
>Internet.  The documentation that I've used up to this point assumes a lot
>about my knowledge of secure communications, and frankly I'm confused at
>this point.
>

>Where should I start?

Good question....  very vague and hard to answer though.  Are you on a
intranet (private link / VPN) to India, over the Internet, is encryption
required (if you already are using a VPN then the communication is
encrypted), etc.etc.

CVSNT supports a number of protocols, and most can be encrypted I
believe.  You can tell the server to force encryption.  You can have
source verification (e.g. SSH or SSL), there might be a way to do client
verification (would gserver help with that??).

I don't have the answers, but I could lead you to more questions...  :)