[cvsnt] help resurrecting branch revisions

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Thu Feb 5 11:25:12 GMT 2004

KNELL, Steve, FM wrote:

> I've managed to resurrect removed files from the trunk using the
> following syntax:
>
> 	cvs update -j1.3 -j1.2 <filename>
>
> to undo the "remove".
>
> This seems to move the file from the Attic back into the main
> directory ok.
>
> But I can't get this technique to work for branches.

Why not? Works for me. I even wrote a WinCvs macro that does this
(included since WinCvs 1.3.11).

Basic Resurrection formula:

cvs up -jDEADREV -jALIVEREV filename

The assumption however is that the directory you invoke the command in
is currently checked out on that sticky branch. You might be able to
force this by adding -rBRANCH but I never tested this. Mixing -j and -r
options is not necessarily something I'd expect to produce sensible
results...

> If I create a branch revision and then cvs remove the branch
> revision, the ,v file remains in the main directory (i.e. doesn't get
> moved the Attic, cos it's still on the HEAD) - the only change is
> that the branch revision state is changed to "Dead" (this appears as
> "FILE REMOVED" in ViewCVS).

AFAIHU Tony is currently in the process of deprecating the use of the
Attic for identifying removed files (it's in the RCS files anyway - no
need to move anything).

> I've found that I can resurrect this removed branch by editting the
> ,v file directly and replacing the "Dead" state with "Exp".

That's not resurrecting. That's changing history...

> Does anyone know if this is safe?

Maybe...

> Or perhaps there's a better way?

You could also change a revision's state by using the cvs admin
-sState:REVNO command (BTW: Tony, this is currently not documented in
the cvs -H admin output).

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver