[cvsnt] Repository Robustness

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri Feb 6 22:06:25 GMT 2004

Shawn Haigh wrote:

>Thank you for your prompt and very informative reply... I am planning on
>using the standard client/server configuration, suppose that there was a
>disk corruption or failure..? would I still be able to recover to the
>last commit?  For example some other databases use a journal file
>(usually on an other volume) to recover all the changes since the last
>full backup of the database. Is there a similar feature with CVSNT if
>not, would it be in the future?

There have been a couple scripts posted to this list that automate
shutting down CVSNT (to ensure a 'clean' backup), backing up the
repositories, and restarting CVSNT when complete.  The idea is that this
would occour prior to your regular nightly backup, making sure your
repositories are properly archived and the backup doesn't happen to be
getting files across a single commit.

The scripts were posted in the cvsnt wiki here:
http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/BackupRepository

Hope this helps.

Regards,