Proposed ACL behavior change (was Re: [cvsnt] Latest updates)

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Sat Feb 7 21:21:20 GMT 2004

Who else is using ACLs with branches?  How are you using them?  How
would this behavior change affect you?

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> Glen Starrett wrote:
>

>> I'm operating on grs-test1 branch and yes, once I put a default for
>> that specific branch it denies me access like I would expect... but I
>> would think that in the absence of a specific branch default that it
>> would always go back to the global default.  Otherwise locking down
>> "everything except the active branches" could be quite messy.
>

> I've fixed it now, but it's technically a change in behaviour (since
> the original code is a year old and didn't do that)...   Whether to
> put it in the stable release is something I'll ponder (probably will,
> though).

I'm thinking that would be better.  You can specify "main" as a branch,
correct?  I'm just thinking through scenarios that I've used or could
make sense.  There should be some sort of global default, plus the
ability to change that for the specific branches.

For my team, I have developers on their own branches while active
development is going on.  Then at system integration I merge all the
branches into main, lock all the dev branches, and have everyone patch
directly to main while we're ironing out the integration issues.  It's a
small team so it's workable--not ideal in some situations, etc. etc.
Then once we're stable I'll release and we branch off for release fixes
and more development.

Normal development for Rel2:
    MAIN:  Locked
    DevX2, Y2, Z2:  RWC for developers
    Rel1-Fixes:  RWC for maintainer
    All other branches:  Locked

Sys Integr:
    MAIN: Unlocked
    Rel1-Fixes:  RWC for maintainer
    All other branches:  Locked

Just after Release 2:
    MAIN: Locked
    Rel2-Fixes:  RWC for maintainer
    All other branches:  Locked

Next Dev cycle:
    MAIN:  Locked
    DevX3, Y3, Z3:  RWC for developers
    Rel2-Fixes:  RWC for maintainer
    All other branches:  Locked

In most situations it shouldn't be necessary for such strict locking,
but I've found that I have some devs who don't always follow directions
or realize when they are on the wrong branch.  Trying to commit to a
locked branch does get their attention and helps prevent mistakes.

Regards,