[cvsnt] Re: Unable to correctly import *.tar.gz archives

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Feb 8 22:14:20 GMT 2004

Hmmm,
I was under the impression thta you hade a CVS repository that you
wanted to move to another (CVSNT on Windws) server and thus you had
TARed up the whoöe source repository.
So my answer was about the handling of this, i.e. to get the files
from the TARball usable in the new environment you shuld unpack them
using WinZip *only* after making sure the WinZip (un)smart CRLF
conversion was removed.

But now it seems that for some unknown reason you want the entire TAR
file to be a file you check in to the new repository...
Why you want this is beyond me, but it is perfectly possible. Just add
it binary and commit and you are done.

Also:
If a file is "recognized" as unicode, DON'T proceed! Stop right there
and correct that first! If not you will wind up with exactly this
behaviour. It happened to us last week when a developer had updated
our database table diagram (a graphical picture of the relations
between the 80+ tables) and had made a PDF file of it. He added the
file using WinZip and happened to click the wrong button, winding up
with a Unicode add. The PDF file (about 150k) was then committed and
the result was a 1.5K unusable file!

/Bo