[cvsnt] Will the RCS file shrink if revisions are deleted??

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Feb 9 20:23:02 GMT 2004

This is about a binary file (application exe) that has grown to be
very big (212 Mb) and we think that its size is limiting CVSNT
performance.
So we discussed what would happen if we delete a number of revisions
from this file. Will it actually shrink or will there just be markers
inserted into the RCS file that mark certain revisions as deleted?
We really want the file to get *smaller* so it will not impact CVS
performance...
We have several hundred revisions in the file and only a small number
are actually tagged and therefore will be left.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)