[cvsnt] Help importing a Linux kernel...

Curtis Lehman clehman at aircell.com
Tue Feb 10 23:42:05 GMT 2004

Hello,

I am working on a project where we will be using an embedded Linux operating system. I have gotten the default configuration and source code to the kernel installed on a Red Hat 9.0 host system. I am trying to import the installation into CVS. (Using gcvs as the CVS client and cvsnt on a windows machine as the server side.) When I try importing the kernel source code and default file system the import fails. I get a:

cvs [import aborted]: reading roadrunner/filesystem/dev/tracer: No such device.

Can CVS import files with file size zero, or files with special attributes like the ones in the /dev directory that are character based? Will the attributes be retained/restored when the module is checked back out? If these things are possible, can someone point me at where I can learn how to revision control a Linux operating system.

Thanks,
Curtis Lehman