[cvsnt] CVSNT Newbie: Cannot Lock...cannot rename Issues

Bernard Huang berny8888 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 00:49:14 GMT 2004

Hi Everyone,

I spent the last three nights trying to debug cvsnt issues and now i'm deferring to your help.

I've read virtually all the installation tips from devguy, Bo Berglund, and other random sites trying to figure out ssh (which I still failed to setup) and debugging my current issues (see below).

BTW, I noticed Bo is in this forum and Tom too...Thanks for your documentation!

So here's the deal:

I'm using tortoisecvs as my client.  I can download my repository, but when I create a new file such as test.txt and commit to it, the server says:

Checking in CVSROOT/test.txt:

/test/CVSROOT/test,v <-- test
new revision:1.2; previous revision 1.1
cvs[server aborted]: cannot rename file: /test/CVSROOT/.test to
/test/CVSROOT/test,v: Permission denied

Error: CVS operation failed

I checked the task manager for a cvs.exe run away process, but nothing there.

so now I tried to commit again and the error message says...

cvs server: cannot lock 'D:/cvsrepo/test/CVSROOT/test.txt,v'.
cvs server: Rebuilding adminstrative database

Error: CVS operation failed

The next thing I did is to check my config file and here are my questions:

1.  To change my config file, do I need to checkout this file on the server and make changes and putback or can I just open the file and apply the changes and save it in an editor?

I have set the LockDir=d:\cvstemp\locks  and the LockServer=localhost:2402

2.  I have the ip address assigned to a domain address...should I change 'localhost' to point to the domain address instead?

The ports are opened in my router.  Also, the user has full access under Windows 2000 to read and write files in the cvstemp and cvsrepo directories. I'm using sspi as the protocol for now.  I just want the commits to work.

Please help.

Thanks,

Bernard