[cvsnt] Need help configuring CVSNT on Windows XP for use with Eclipse

James Adams james_adams at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 08:49:24 GMT 2004

Hello,

I have installed and (I think) correctly configured
CVSNT on my Windows XP machine.  Now I want to use it
for a simple web application project which I am
developing using Eclipse.  I am having trouble getting
the repository location to validate when I try to add
it using Eclipse's CVS repository explorer - it tells
me that it has an I/O exception, the connection is
refused and there is no such repository.  I am not
sure if my CVSNT installation and configuration is to
blame, or if I am using the wrong validation
(protocol/username/password) within Eclipse.

Here's what I've done to install and configure CVSNT,
please let me know if this looks kosher:

1.  Install CVSNT - run cvsnt-2.0.26.exe

2.  Created a directory C:\cvsrepo

3.  Set the CVSROOT system environment variable
    Start -> My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced ->
Environment Variables
    CVSROOT == C:\cvsrepo

4.  Restarted computer

5.  Started the CVSNT Service Control Panel

    Start -> All Programs -> CVSNT -> Service Control
Panel

6.  Stopped the CVSNT service

7.  Created a repository root under C:\cvsrepo (the
repository prefix)

    Repositories -> Add -> C:\cvsrepo\eclipse

8.  Clicked OK, and the /eclipse root showed up as a
valid repository root

9.  Started the CVSNT server

10. With Cygwin bash I did the following:

$ set cvsroot=:ntserver:JamesAdams:/eclipse

(the name of the computer is "JamesAdams")

$ cvs passwd -a -r "James" "adminuser"
Adding user adminuser
New password: ******
Verify password: ******

$ set cvsroot=:pserver:adminuser at JamesAdams:/eclipse

$ cvs login
cvs [login aborted]: The :local: protocol does not
support the login command

$ cvs info
Available protocols:

ext                 ext 2.0.26
fork                fork 2.0.26
gserver             gserver 2.0.26 (Active Directory)
pserver             pserver 2.0.26
server              server 2.0.26
sserver             sserver 2.0.26
ssh                 ssh 2.0.26
sspi                sspi 2.0.26

$ cvs ls -l -R

(appears to work fine, showing all files under
C:/cvsrepo)

So it seems that the server is running fine, since I
can issue various "cvs" commands, but I'm not sure how
to tell if I have set up the security correctly.  It
seems to not be right since I can't do a login (it
gives the error mesage about the :local protocol), and
Eclipse never validates no matter what I use as
username/password.

There is an entry in the C:\cvsrepo\CVSROOT\passwd
file for the user I added using "cvs passwd" command
above.

When I use Eclipse to create a repository location it
offers pserver, ext and sshext as connection types,
but none of these seem to work with a multitude of
username/password combinations (even "anonymous" with
no password) - so I am stumped as to whether or not I
have actually finished with the CVSNT setup
(especially the security features), or if the CVSNT
server is now fine and the problem has more to do with
Eclipse.  The CVSNT manual doesn't give me much to
work with, so I am hoping that some kind soul will
give me some more clues.

What can I do to verify that I have the correct
security in place ?  Is there some way to verify that
I have everything set up correctly so that I can begin
using Eclipse as the client ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, as I have
already spent hours trying to get this to work and I
have had only frustration as my reward.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

-James