[cvsnt] Re: Lockserver on Loopback?

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Wed Feb 11 13:58:38 GMT 2004

Are we talking about the same thing?
The Microsoft LoopBack Adapter is what I mean. It is not installed
by default and if you want your laptop to retain the TCP/IP protocol
even when you pull the plug on the network cable it is essential.

If no network adapter is present when the LAN cable is pulled then
Win2000 and up will unload the TCP/IP protocol and you cannot use
any socket communication within the PC itself anymore.

So sometimes you need to have it installed (I do). But to install
it menas going to Add/Remove Hardware and go though the guide and
manually select the network card, then Microsoft then LoopBack Adapter.
This installs it onto the system. After this you have to give it a
sensible IP address too, just like you do the other NICs, except
this one will never see a DHCP server of course.

When we have this adapter enabled on our production PC:s in addition
to a real NIC on the customer's network we get these delays in
communication that breaks our SQLServer calls. Disabling it cures those
delay issues.

BTW, I saw mention of the loopback in the commit messages from CVSNT.

/Bo