[cvsnt] SSPI can't authenticate

Richard Banks rbanks at arel.com
Thu Feb 12 22:15:59 GMT 2004

Glen Starrett wrote:

> Richard Banks wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running CVS 2.0.14 on a Win2K box with Active Directory.
>> SSPI has been working very nicely for the past month or so until
>> yesterday. I now get this message:
>>
>> c:\Program Files\cvsnt> cvs -d :sspi:localhost:/Repo version
>> cvs [version aborted]: Can't authenticate - server and client cannot
>> agree on an
>> authentication scheme (got '')
>>
>> It happens from clients machines and from the command prompt on the
>> server itself.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a reason that this might suddenly start happening
>> now?  System DLLs changed, files missing, etc?
>>
> New firewall settings, AV settings, or a patch from MS perhaps?  Just
> a thought.
>
> Try running cvsservice -t and see if you get any clues.

Well, as it turns out you are correct.

I've had VET anti virus running on the machine since day 1 without a
problem, however it did an auto update and loaded a version onto the
machine.  After checking the CA web site it appears that the latest
version breaks stuff on machines with active directory for some
unspecified reason.

I did a "downgrade" but it didn't fix anything, and then an uninstall -
still no luck.  I can only assume that the downgrade doesn't actually
uninstall the broken version but rather changes the running version.

So, I put back the broken version and uninstalled that hoping that it
would properly clean itself out.  It did and SSPI is now working
properly again and all is well with the world.

By the way, the sserver protocol was also broken but I didn't pick up on
that until after I'd sent the email.

Thanks for your help,
Richard.