[cvsnt] NetGetAnyDCName vs NetGetDCName

Chris Little cslittle at mac.com
Fri Feb 13 16:15:27 GMT 2004

in article c0gsfs$bnu$4 at sisko.local.nodomain.org, Tony Hoyle at
tmh at nodomain.org wrote on 2/12/04 4:50 PM:

> Chris Little wrote:
>

>> I upgraded our cvsnt server from 2.0.14 to 2.0.25 and it has fixed our
>> pserver log in issues.  I looked at the code in win32.c and it looks like
>> there was a significant rework of the authentication code.
>>
> The latest version uses DsGetDCName if it's available, which seems to
> work as advertised.

I spoke too soon.  I have two Win2K servers that I thought were identically
set up but obviously aren't.  One is a test server where I tryout things
like cvsnt and the other is our live server.

Everything works fine on the test server but pserver logins by users
including a domain i.e. domain\user (doesn't matter if it is a local domain
or not) fails.  Actually the login works but a checkout doesn't.

I get the error

cannot create read lock in repository 'D:/PROD-CVS/APE/APE/(docs)': No such
file or directory.

When I trying 2.0.25 on the test server I had chosen not to install the LSA
helper originally because there were many people were having problems with
it and I didn't know it was required for pserver impersonation to work.
When I logged in with a domain pserver user this was the error that I saw.
After reading the FAQ and installing the LSA helper everything started to
work fine.

When I installed 2.0.25 (including the LSA helper) on the live server
although it let the pserver domain users login I would see the read lock
error.  Pserver logins without a domain work fine.

Any thoughts on where I starting looking for problems?

Chris