[cvsnt] Problem with Mergepoints

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Mon Feb 16 14:12:35 GMT 2004

Harrison, Andrew wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm having a problem with mergepoints. I'm not sure if it's something I'm
>doing wrong, but CVS-NT isn't acting how I expected.
>
>If I have two branches and create a new file on branch 1, and then merge
>branch 1 into branch 2, then the new file is correctly created on branch 2.

[snip]

In order for mergepoints to work, you need CVSNT on the client as well
as the server, and both need to be a version released within the last
year (or so).  Anything in the 2.0.x series will work, with the latest
in the series having a bit nicer behavior when merging entire branches
(search for "null delta" for more background on that).  Also note that
some front-ends come bundled with a specific version of cvsnt that,
depending on the version of that front end, might not have a recent
enough client.

Here's what to expect:

Do a "cvs version" in your sandbox to verify both client and server are
running CVSNT.

Merge from 1 -> 2 (cvs up -j b1)
    If you "cvs status" against your file, you'll see an entry "Merge
From:   {version on b1}"

Commit (cvs ci -m "merged in from b1")
    If you "cvs log" against your file, you'll see a field for
"mergepoint: {version on b1}"

Hope this helps.