[cvsnt] Problem with Mergepoints

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Tue Feb 17 15:01:36 GMT 2004

Harrison, Andrew wrote:

>>From: Glen Starrett [mailto:grstarrett at cox.net]
>>
>>--Create a branch b2, already have branch grs-test1.
>>
>>--Change sandbox to b2, Add a file into b2, commit
>>
>>--Change sandbox to grs-test1
>>
>>--Merge from b2
>>--> I now see the test file.
>>

>Ok, that's exactly it. But now look at the CVS headers of the file in
>grs-test1. Does it have a mergepoint flag indicating that it was merged from
>the b2 branch? Mine does not.

You're right--there is no mergepoint record on that file at this point.

 >cvs status test-b2.c
File: test-b2.c         Status: Up-to-date

   Working revision:    1.1.4.1
   Repository revision: 1.1.4.1 /home/cvsroot/test/test-b2.c,v
   Expansion option:    kv
   Commit Identifier:   435e403142293010
   Sticky Tag:          grs-test1 (branch: 1.1.4)
   Sticky Date:         (none)
   Sticky Options:      (none)
   Merge From:          (none)

>Try this, following on from what you've done above.
>
>--Change sandbox to b2
>
>--Modify the file, commit
>
>--Change sandbox to grs-test1
>
>--Merge from b2
>--> At this point I get a conflict, and looking at the details it simply
>shows the entire contents of the file conflicting between the two versions.
>The only way I can stop this happening is to manually edit the RCS file and
>add the mergepoint in (nasty!).

Yup, I see that too.  Definitely a problem.  I haven't seen that before
because I merge from main -> branch and branch -> main, never from
branch to branch.  I would think that would be a valid model though.

This was done using using pserver with:
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.24 (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.26 (client/server)

You should post this to the bugtracker if Tony doesn't jump in and fix
it right away.  He's normally very fast at knocking these out, but it
never hurts to log it in case he gets busy with Real Life (tm).

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett

--(shameless plug)--