[cvsnt] 2.0.26 on XP Pro -

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Feb 19 17:55:11 GMT 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:59:54 -0500, Damien McKenna
<damien at mc-kenna.com> wrote:

>cvs server: Error connecting to host localhost: No such host is known.

This to me indicates a problem with the TCP/IP networking.
What happens if you go to a command window on this PC and type:
ipconfig /all
This should bring up info on all of your network adapters, especially
all of their netwok addresses.
Also try
ping localhost
and
ping 127.0.0.1
This should reveal if you have a network system active or not.

If this is an XP-Pro machine at home and it is the only one you have
and you connect to the Internet using dialup, then the chances are
*very* high that your machine does *not* have a working TCP/IP system
while you are disconnected from the Internet dialup.

If this is the case then try installing the Microsoft Loopback
Adapter, it is a software network adapter and when it is enabled
TCP/IP will also be available.

Install via (complex procedure...):
ControlPanel/AddHardware
Next
Yes I have already connected the hardware
Next
Add a new hardware device
Next
.. manual select(Advanced)
Next
Network Adapters
Next
Microsoft
Microsoft Loopback Adapter
Next

When done you should open your "Connections" and find the Loopback
adapter. Go to properties/TCPIP and set a sensible IP address for it,
like 192.168.113.67 or so

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)