[cvsnt] Automating some basic functionality of CVSNT

RANDY BURNS RBURNS at tacoma.k12.wa.us
Tue Feb 24 20:07:44 GMT 2004

I manage a substantial collection of html documents and images (about a
gig all together). We've
been using CVSNT to handle version control using WinCVS-and that has
worked fine for myself
and another developer. We have a couple of production control
operators that handle movement of changes onto production. I would
really like to make things
simple for these folks.

What I would ideally like is for the production control folks to simply
be able to copy a directory to a
cvs active directory and have any changes checked into cvs by a script
that runs as a scheduled task.

Now, what I've seen here is that if I copy files, I have a couple of
issues:
1) there is a need to do a recusive add of new files. Wincvs has
something that is supposed to do this,
    but it hangs--and I need something I can run from the command line
so I can run it as a
    scheduled task.

2) there is a need to sort out the situation where a file has been
replaced by a file with
    indentical contents. These files may be copied from another machine
so the timestamps
    may differ but the contents are the same.  In wincvs, if I copy and
identical file with
    a different timestamp than the original and try to commit it, the
file gets tagged
   (highlighted as red and marked as a mod file). If I commit the file
I get something like
   ***** CVS exited normally with code 0 *****
   and the file is still marked as a mod file.

I guess I could just write a script that only moved the added/changed
files to handle 2).
I thought I would ask if there are scripts around that handle some of
these conditions.

Thanks!
RJB