[cvsnt] Mergepoints

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Wed Feb 25 11:05:26 GMT 2004

The "main line" with revisions 1.1-1.2-1.3 etc is called TRUNK. It works
like a branch really, but a special one without a branch name...

The tip of the TRUNK is the latest revision of the files with simple revision
numbers and this is "tagged" internally by CVS as "HEAD". HEAD automatically
moves up with each commit on TRUNK.

So by updating to HEAD one gets the latest files on *TRUNK*.

The idea to use HEAD as a tag in the merge operations is no good unless
one specifically wants the tip of TRUNK. HEAD does *not* refer to the tip
of any other branch at all....

/Bo