[cvsnt] Yet another obscure merge problem

Harrison, Andrew andy.harrison at anite.com
Wed Feb 25 15:14:26 GMT 2004

> From: Tony Hoyle [mailto:tmh at nodomain.org]
>
> > I now want to merge Branch1 into Branch2. There have been
> no changes in
> > either branch (in this file). What would you expect the
> result to be?
> >
> Exactly what happens... absolutely nothing, since branch1
> hasn't changed
> since branch2 was created.

(Tony, I sent a reply this morning but it didn't get through cos it was too
large - I'd copied a large WinCVS log into the mail to show what I was doing
and the result. Here's a much shorter version...)

Ok, at least we now agree what is supposed to happen! Sorry, maybe I wasn't
explaining it very well earlier. Now we just need to find out why it's not
working for me. This is what I'm doing, as you can see the Branch1->Branch2
merge creates a new version of file1.c:

Current files, both at rev 1.1:
C:\mergetest\file1.c
C:\mergetest\file2.c

Commands all issued in directory C:\mergetest\

cvs tag -b Branch1
cvs remove file1.c
cvs commit -m "no message"
cvs tag -b Branch2
cvs update -r Branch2
cvs update -jBranch1
cvs commit -m "no message"

cvs log file1.c

Rcs file : '/cvs_nt/mergetest/file1.c,v'
Working file : 'file1.c'
Head revision : 1.2
Branch revision :
Locks : strict