[cvsnt] Problem with cvstemp

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri Jan 2 16:15:54 GMT 2004

> I'm using cacls for this and I don't think it comes from the resource
> kit. I belive that it is an integral part of the NT4-W2000-XP etc
> distribution. There was once (or still is) a program called XCACLS
> that was/is included with NT resource kit and is said to be enhanced
> in some ways. But the basic function of cacls is OK for setting the
> permissions on a temp dir.

CACLS was written for WinNT [3.1?] 4.0.  XCACLS added the directory
inheritance settings and was released with Win2K.  Both in the respective
resource kits, and not installed on the system by default.  [X]CACLS uses
the names and I don't believe it can use the SID of the users, which makes
it worthless when you don't know the exact name of the Administrators
account, for example (it should be renamed for security best practices, as
I'm sure you're aware, and (some? all?) multilingual variants of Windows
have the name "Administrator" translated into the respective languages).

I'm not certain though on SYSTEM and EVERYONE, since those can't be renamed
AFAIK.  Definitely something to update the SetAcl page with though, when|if
I get time.

Glen Starrett