[cvsnt] Latest Updates

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sun Jan 4 17:50:54 GMT 2004

Hiroshi Kuribara wrote:

> I think it's not explanation >> best to start recording them now.
> This feature is big change to cvs(nt), you(we) should think
> this feature carefully.
> For ex, you put the file-name only. Are you thinking rename feature is
>  available only in same directoly?

You don't put the path in the RCS file itself, but in another file that has
the reverse lookup to the RCS file from the directory.  It's complex to
explain (even more complex to implement).

I'm not planning on cross-directory renames at the moment anyway.  The plan
is to keep it simple and offer only renames of files within directories
until it's all properly worked out.  That code isn't going in for a while
though as there's still a lot to write, and I might just think of another
way to do it completely in the meantime.

> Please, hear other person's opinion for big feature before implementing.
> Please, please.
> (Of course, You can ignore me)

Putting the filename in RCS is hardly a big feature - it's zero impact
really... just another field amongst several.

I do listen - I have a list of things that people have asked for over time
and as time allows I implement them.  There are always the older versions
available - I'm not going to get stuck in a rut like a lot of projects do,
afraid to alter anything 'just in case'.

> I agree with you that cvs doesn't need attic.
> But I'm worrying about other applications look into repository are
> affected, like merge-point affected to viewcvs(or cvsview? I don't know
> much about this)

I doubt there'll be much impact... whether a file was in the attic or not
was fairly random anyway, so everything always looks in both directories
for the files (viewcvs certainly seems to).  It was always impossible to
predict whether a file would be found in the attic without actually opening
it, which made the the whole thing kind of pointless.

I've been slowly deleting attic code for 6 months now and you're the first
to notice...