[cvsnt] tag command

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Thu Jan 8 15:46:30 GMT 2004

Cruz, Maria wrote:

> the man page for this command,
> http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/CvsChapter56, says:
>
> The commands must be issued inside your working directory.
>
> I have a dir structure, with the source code in subdirs.  (
> FC/MessageSrv/messagesrv.cpp).  From the dir "FC" i issue the command
> "cvs tag -F new_src FC/MessageSrv/messagesrv.cpp".  It seems to place
> the tag on the file messagesrv.cpp just fine.  BUT I am not in  the
> working directory for messagesrv.cpp.  Is this bad?  I want to be in
> FC cause I use a perl script to tag certain set of files in multiple
> subdirs under "FC" directory.  BUT I do not want to mess up anything.
> If i HAVE to be in each working directory , I will.  but i hope i do
> not.  thanks

That's not what's meant by the description. It simply means that you
have to be /somewhere/ inside your working copy. The important bit is
that the directory you invoke CVS from is CVS-controlled (i.e. has CVS
metadata, i.e. has a hidden CVS subfolder with Root, Repository and
Entries.* files in it). Otherwise the command would have no context
(i.e. CVS wouldn't know what repository to connect to, where in the
repository to add the new file, etc.).

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver